Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Getting Ready

Triage- and the most uncomfortable bed ever. Thanks to my cousin Brittany Avery was able to go and get some sleep while the rest of us kept the hospital up and running through the night.
Birthing/laboring room- Wed. June 16th at 36 weeks I delivered 2 beautiful baby boys 6lb. 3oz. and 6lb. 1oz. approx. 20min. apart.
The O R - They deliver twins in here just in case baby B were to flip and they have to do an emergency C-section/vaginal birth, and for other high risk issues. I was fortunate not to need a C-section but they did have to pull Caleb out with forceps which worried me, they had to convince me it was necessary (which wasn't to hard to do) I saw Sawyer for a brief moment then they wisked him away and it was time to push Caleb out. After pushing once of twice Dr. Mourad looked at me and smiled and said " so do you want to deliver this baby today or tomorrow" He said "I can use the forceps and he'll be out in one push or you can keep trying." I insisted I could do it myself and pushed a few more times then my exhaustion kicked in when they told me he hadn't even dropped into the birth canal... and I gave in. One push and some brutal strength from the doctor and I'll never look at salad tongs again without it taking me back to this moment, and there was Caleb. Both boys looked great when they were delivered but shortly after both boys were struggling to breathe. Sawyer stopped altogether and they used forced air with the C pap (sp?) and they helped Caleb breathe until they were able to get them both stablized in the NICU. I was fortunately unaware of all the stress the boys were having and was grateful for each of the individual teams who were there to take care of my sweet boys.
One thing I never expected was to have 15 people in the room when I delivered. When I delivered Avery there was a Doctor a nurse and then a couple more nurses came in after I delivered but when I went into the OR to deliver the boys I realized that's where all the parties are. They had music playing they strapped my arms out away from my body and I sat there and watched as person after person came into the room to do there jobs, however when it was all said and done I was grateful for every single one of them.
Posted by Picasa

0 comments: